Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Review | Battle of the BB creams feat. Garnier & Maybelline

Oh my life, I'm so glad that I've finally found the time to knuckle down and write this post because I've wanted to do so for the longest time ever. I've been using both the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector and the Maybelline Dream Fresh Cream for a while, and I really feel like I've used them long enough to be able to stick my two cents in about them. 

Now, I'm not going to tell you what a BB cream is because I'm sure you already know (Google is your friend if you don't) and that you're sick to death of the explanations. Instead, I'm just going to dive straight into the review because that's what you really want to read, right?


  • Garnier - 'Miracle Skin Perfector' Daily All-In-One BB Cream

* Dollop *
* Swatch *
* Spread *
Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-In-One B.B. Cream in Medium - (£9.99)

What Garnier Say

"Garnier BB cream for immediately perfected skin with even tone and boosted glow. Blurs imperfections and smoothes fine lines. SPF15 protection and 24hr hydration."

What I Think
  • Consistency - this BB cream is quite thick compared to the Maybelline one, but it doesn't feel at all heavy on the skin.
  • Coverage - I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of coverage that Garnier's BB cream provided me with. I would say that it was somewhere between light to medium, but possibly more on the lighter side. However, I found that I could build it up, which I tended to do on my cheeks because they're a bit on red, without my face looking like I'd caked the cream on. Although, this BB cream does not conceal blemishes, so you will need to team it with a good concealer. My concealers of choice at the moment are either Collection 2000's Lasting Perfection concealer or MAC's Pro Longwear concealer.
  • Look On The Skin - I love the way this BB cream makes my skin look. It gives it such a nice subtle sheen, perfect for the Spring/Summer months. I also like the fact that this BB cream makes my complexion look more even in tone. Personally, as my skin has been more oilier than usual, I like to set it with a good powder. However, if you're skin isn't oily-combination, then I think you could probably get away with not using powder at all. Oh, and I tried this BB cream on my mum, who is 50+, and it looked great on her. So, I definitely think this is a nice drugstore/high street BB cream for the more mature lady.
  • Feel On The Skin - I really couldn't feel this on my skin because it's super lightweight, like I'm not even kidding. Even the areas that I had applied more cream on, such as my cheeks, didn't feel heavy with product. I definitely feel like this BB cream is moisturising my skin and it definitely hydrates my dry areas without making my oily areas even more oiler. 
  • Smell - As lots of bloggers have commented, this BB cream has the typical 'Garnier' smell. I have no idea how to describe the smell to you; it's sort of florally I guess. If you've ever smelt other Garnier products, then this smells just like those!! The smell doesn't really bother me because it's quite subtle and I can't smell it once the cream settles into my face. 
  • Colour - I've only seen this BB cream in two shades; light and medium. The medium shade is perfect for me, although I think that if you're several shades darker than me, this might not be the BB cream for you.
  • Wear Time - With a primer this BB cream lasted quite a while on my face, maybe between 4-6 hours, MAX. Although, if you have more obvious blemishes then maybe the wear time would be significantly less. In addition, I did use a concealer with it, so my bad areas had extra coverage and that could be why I feel like this cream lasted a good amount of time.
  • Packaging - I love the fact that this BB cream has a flip top lid, as opposed to a screw lid. I just feel like flip top lids are more hygienic. Although, I'm not sure if that's entirely true but that's how I feel. 
  • Price - The Garnier BB cream currently retails at £9.99, which I think is quite reasonable given how much product you get and how long it lasts. The bottle holds 50ml and lasts for ages, especially because you don't generally need to use that much unless you want to build up the coverage on certain areas of your face. 


Conclusion
I completely agree with Garnier about what this BB cream does!! Even though a lot of people are saying that this isn't really a BB cream in the strictest sense of the word, I still really like it. The main reason why I like it is that it seemed to work for me; it evened out my skin tone, made my redness less apparent and the colour of the cream perfectly matched my skin tone. The only negative thing that I could possibly say about this BB cream is that it's only SPF 15, which is quite low for me personally.

  • Maybelline 'Dream Fresh' 8-In-1 BB Cream

* Dollop *
* Swatch *
* Spread *
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream in Medium - (£7.99)
What Maybelline Say

"Maybelline Dream Fresh 8-in-1 BB Cream. Instant fresh-faced Glow without looking all made up.
Our gel based formula enhances skin with 8 benefits in 1.
  • Creates a natural glow
  • Compliments skin tone
  • SPF30 UV Protection
  • Hydrates all day
  • Blurs imperfections
  • Oil-free, non-greasy
  • Looks visibly smooth.
  • Feels fresh"

What I Think
  • Consistency - Thanks to the gel formula, the consistency of this BB cream is quite thin and is easily absorbed into the skin. However, I personally like creams that are a little thicker, like Garnier's BB cream, because I feel like they provide the amount of coverage that I (desperately) need.
  • Coverage - For me, personally, the Maybelline BB cream provided zero coverage and felt more like a moisturiser than a BB cream if I'm being completely honest. Also, my left eye area is significantly drier than the rest of my face and I felt like this BB cream just accentuated that. As previously mentioned, my cheeks can get a little red from time to time and this cream did nothing to counteract that.
  • Look On The Skin - Unlike Garnier's BB cream, Maybelline's offering did not even out my skin tone at all. To be completely frank, I did not like the way it looked on my skin; it clung to my dry bits, especially around my left eye area. 
  • Feel On The Skin - This BB cream felt really lightweight on my skin, which I think had something to do with the gel formula. However, it did not make my skin feel as fresh as a daisy like Garnier's BB cream did.
  • Smell - I really can't smell this BB cream at all, so it's either unscented or the scent is too subtle for my nose. Actually, if I really do sniff it then I can smell a slight something something, but it's incredibly subtle.
  • Colour - I have seen this BB cream in four colours in the UK; Light, Universal Glow, Medium and Dark. So, there's definitely more of a chance that you're going to find a shade to suit your skin tone.
  • Wear Time - Due to the fact that this BB cream is quite moisturising and thin in constancy compared to Garnier's BB cream, I feel like it doesn't as long on my skin. 
  • Packaging - I hate the fact that this BB cream comes with a screw top lid. Urgh, absolutely hate it!! Every time I open the lid, the cream just seems to drip straight out and it can get very messy for a klutz like me. Due to the fact that it's quite thin in consistency, I would have thought that it would be beneficial to have a flip top lid instead of a screw top one.
  • Price - In terms of price, this is £2 cheaper than Garnier's BB cream. However, you do only get 30ml in the tube.

Conclusion
I love the fact that the Maybelline BB cream contains SPF 30, my SPF of choice on a daily basis. However, I really didn't get on with the gel formula and I didn't like the fact that it provided me with hardly any coverage. I definitely would not repurchase it because it simply doesn't do anything for my skin at all.

Overall Conclusion
As you can probably tell, I prefer the Garnier BB cream to Maybelline's offering. I love almost everything about the Garnier one, apart from the low SPF that it contains. If you're undecided between the two, I would strongly suggest you go for the Garnier BB cream because it evens out skin tone, provides a good amount of coverage and looks really natural on the skin.

* * *
Have you tried the Garnier or Maybelline BB cream? What did you think? Which one do you prefer? I'd love to hear your thoughts!! Oh, and I'm on the hunt for a new BB cream to try, so suggestions are very much welcome.

Priya..x

66 comments:

  1. i still haven't tried any bb creams! ughh i know how is that possible? but i want to try out both of those. have you tried any higher brand ones and how they compare?

    http://theparisianpout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww it's okay, I'm sort of a newbie to the BB party too!!

      I haven't tried any high end bb creams because I'm still researching what the ideal one for my skin type might be. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that I'm not sure 100% about. Although, I have been eyeing up the Dr Jart BB cream, oh and the Dior Hydra Life one - not sure if my skin will like it though as it's a bit oily at the moment!! xx

      Delete
  2. I love BB creams (& Tinted moisturisers) and like both of these but find myself reaching for the Maybelline BB Cream way more then my others lately. Beautiful blog doll xx

    Sara
    http://beautifulworldoflennynb.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thank you :) I might try the Maybelline one when my skin is having a 'good' day and see if I like it then!!

    Priya..x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have yet to try a BB cream, but it seems like they're everywhere now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be everywhere you turn, right? It seems everyone and his dog has released a BB cream! x

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, this review is aboslutely brilliant!! I love how you compare the same product and different brands, and these two brands happen to be my next choice to try due to my current one from Jap is running out. So far I have heard a lot of positive things about the Garnier BB cream, so I think I will give it a go next time; but yeah, the only downside is that I just wish the SPF value could be higher, like at least 25 or 30!! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem and thanks very much Carrie!! I'm glad you found my review useful :)

      I'm on the hunt for a true all-in-one BB cream now - SPF, moisturiser,foundation - the lot!!

      Priya..xx

      Delete
    2. Try Lancaster or Collister, they have really good BB creams with a SPF factor of 6, 9, 15 and 20. They hydratate the skin and are easy to apply on the skin. They cover good as well!

      Delete
    3. Ohh they sound good!! How do you think they will work with my combination-oily skin type? x

      Delete
  6. Hello

    You said that you use a powder with your garnier BB cream may ask what one you recommend? I'm look for make-up that not too heavy on my face and won't break me out as I combination skin. Did you feel as tho this clogged your pores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Sorry for the late reply. I use one from Elf's Studio Line, I think it's called the Pressed Powder. I have combination skin as well and it's the one powder that I don't think looks heavy on me, and it doesn't block my pores. I use a really light hand with it though!! I hope this helps :) x

      Delete
  7. I actually prefer the Garnier one! The dream fresh Maybelline irritated my skin:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! I tried to use it again the other day, but it just doesn't do anything for me and the coverage is rubbish. x

      Delete
  8. Your review was so helpful. Before reading it I was totally confused. Going out to buy Garnier tomorrow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's lovely to hear.. I'm glad you found it useful!! :)

      Delete
  9. I've tried the Garnier and like it. I've also tried L'oreal and like it also but it's more shimmery, which is fine if I'm out for a dressier occasion. I read this trying to decide if I should try Maybelliene and from the comments I've read, I'll pass. I'll just stick to the Garnier! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I'm not too keen on shimmer because my skin is so problematic at the moment. I would deffo stick to Garnier - I really want to try the oil free version of the BB cream because I've heard great things about it! x

      Delete
  10. For a drugstore product, Garnier BB Cream is the best by far! To set it, I use an old standby, baby powder. I use the one with cornstarch to absorb excess oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll have to look into that baby powder!! x

      Delete
  11. I live in Canada and I have just started using the Garnier BB Cream. So far, I love it. I have an oily T-zone, so what do you suggest using as a powder to dab on my nose through out the day without looking like I have caked on make-up in that area?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! I use a cheap and cheerful powder by Elf - from their Studio range :)

      Delete
  12. This is a very detailed review that I've been searching for all this time. Thanks for sharing with us your review. I will wait for your another bb cream reviews. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - my pleasure!! I've not tried any other BB creams because I'm addicted to my Revlon Colourstay foundation, which I use ever so lightly on a daily basis :) x

      Delete
  13. The quality of your blogs and articles and worth appreciating.topical numbing cream over the counter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I just stumbled on your review and I'm glad I did! Last night I bought Dr. Jart's Black Label Detox BB Cream and I have yet to try it. I've been reading reviews all day and it seems I've made a good choice!It was quite affordable even though it's one of the higher-end BB Creams I've seen and I was hesitant about buying the Garnier BB Cream due to the fact that I have sensitive skin, but after reading your review I'm excited to try it soon! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh excellent!! I really want to try Dr. Jart's BB Cream, but I need my skin to clear up before I switch things up lol x

      Delete
  15. Hi, just wondering what you think about the koream brands:
    Skin79 gold and missha? I heard good stuff about it as well. I'm not sure what to get :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard good stuff about them but haven't tried them myself so I couldn't really comment either way about them!! Let me know if you do try them :) x

      Delete
  16. I had not seen Garnier BB cream just yet. My first try is the one from The Face Shop. I think it felt a bit heavy at first, but it settles into the skin just perfectly. Maybe I could try Garnier BB cream some time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. heya amazing review gurl..ur choic of words and an easy flow of explanation...superb.....i am a flying GRO and work for an airline. i was hesitant to try BB cream. being a guy i certainly dint wanna resemble my gf. bt she suggested me the oil free version from garnier and its amazing...
    god bless and good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have never read a beauty blog before. But, there's always a first time! Your review was very helpful. I like Garnier products, but wasn't sure about this - because it's new to me. Going out to buy this Garnier BB cream tomorrow! Thanks Priya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks , I've just been searching for info approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest I have found out till now. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain about the supply?
    Also visit my site : Novella Bourgeois’s blog - Проблемы нашего города

    ReplyDelete
  20. Genuinely when someone doesn't understand then its up to other people that they will assist, so here it happens.
    My blog post Read �

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!
    Stop by my website N.A.W.E.O.A Law Library -

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this web site; this webpage carries awesome and in fact good material in support of visitors.

    Here is my web site: http://www.mavihayal.com/blogs/user/justinaga

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am
    actually happy to read all at alone place.

    my page; arabica coffee beans

    ReplyDelete
  24. I definitely want to try the Garnier! I use the Maybelliene, but I don't really like it. It doesn't even out my tone and it feels too thin on my skin. I think I would prefer the Garnier instead. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi this really helped, but i am really interested in that nail polish, so may i ask what brand and color it is??

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you build this amazing site yourself?
    Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my very own website and want to find out where you got this from or what the theme is called. Cheers!

    my blog - burun estetigi fiyatlari

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm
    not seeing very good success. If you know of any please
    share. Cheers!

    my web blog :: teamplant blog tanaman berjamaah saling sharing

    ReplyDelete
  28. My family members all the time say that I am killing my time
    here at net, however I know I am getting knowledge
    daily by reading thes good posts.

    Stop by my blog post Lift serum pro reviews

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking
    more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!


    Also visit my site click the following internet page

    ReplyDelete
  30. May I simply just say what a relief to find someone that actually knows what they're discussing on the web. You certainly understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people really need to look at this and understand this side of the story. It's surprising you are
    not more popular because you certainly have the gift.



    Take a look at my web page :: RX Rejuvenex

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read this post fully on the topic of the resemblance of latest and previous technologies,
    it's remarkable article.

    my site ... como instalar openbox s10 hd

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the
    eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
    Superb work!

    my webpage - simply click the next internet page

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the
    great information you have got here on this post.
    I shall be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.


    Here is my weblog - SEO

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I wanted to write
    a little comment to support you.

    my webpage: Natural Cleanse Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon on a daily
    basis. It's always exciting to read through content from other authors and use something from their web sites.

    Here is my website sex toys in india

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have used Garnier BB Cream for oily/combination skin. It gives a good coverage but it made my skin veryy dry and flaky and worst of all it made me breakout alot !! A thumbs down from my side.

    Although I'm thinking of giving this Garnier BB a try. Because here in our country we've only got 2 choices of BB cream to choose from. And maybelline does not come in my skin shade.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Benefit of Food stuff in Current day Culture

    my web blog :: how to convert video to mp3

    ReplyDelete
  38. For no reason Buy Home cinema System Formerly While you Read This amazing Report.


    Visit my page; washroom

    ReplyDelete
  39. where can i buy this garnier bb cream? can you please email me at ganerin@yahoo.com.ph i'll be waiting for your respond.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. BB creams are the way forward, great post :)

    http://studentbeautylife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/rimmel-bb-cream-vs-match-perfection.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello girls, I am from Brazil but I travel a lot around the world. I am not rich but I try to buy for me the best products and sometimes they are expensives like Dior, Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Lancome, but it's not always that the best products are expensive. I love the BB cream of Garnier, and I hated this one of Maybelline... I want to laugh when a friend tells me she bought the Maybelline BB cream. It's better to buy Garnier that is the number one, they have many options, I had this one you showed and I simply loved it. I gave to a friend two days ago because she is doing peeling and I told her she needed something like that. I would buy the same one but I have seen they have now with SPF 50 and I will buy this one and I am sure I will love it because it's Garnier. Also totally recommend another ones: Skinfood, Dior, Baviphat...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just bought the Garnier BB Cream yesterday and wearing it today. I totally agree with everything you said, from the amazing coverage to the lightweight feeling.
    -Nikita| lifeingeneralblog13.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi I have bought the Garnier BB cream and everytime I have used it I have a skin break out, so I tried another make can't even remember which one and the same thing happened, has this happened to others as well. I don't normally have skin break outs so it must be someting in the BB cream, can someone out there help please.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Have been using Garnier BB for just over a month, & think it is excellent. Agree with everything in the post. I am in my 60s but have received several compliments about skin tone since using this cream. In my view, a very good product at a reasonable price & I shall definitely continue using it

    ReplyDelete
  45. Very nicely written comparison.. i have tried only Garnier BB Cream here in India.. and I loved it more as moisturizer than for coverage.


    xoxo
    The Blah Queen
    Garnier BB Cream Review

    ReplyDelete
  46. just found your blog and Loved it! Following you now :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. Have you tried opening products with screw tops upside down? So that the liquid won't run out no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I like both Garnier and Maybeline… I usually purchase Garnier products at Kallony.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I tried Garnirer BB cream in med/dark and immediate feel in love with it. I noted how it minimized lines and covered freckles around my nose area. I first heard about BB cream from one of my favorite actors(Halley Berry.) I am very pleased to say I will continue to purchase it. Sorry I did not have funds to try both BB creams from Maybeline and Garnier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...